Monday, July 12, 2010

The Hobbit's Library. . .

Well, I had a wedding on Saturday, but on Sunday the hobbit and I got a crap-load of work done for the house.  Sometime a week or so ago, I realized I absolutely could not unpack anymore boxes until we had actual shelves on which to put the contents of the remaining boxes.  We have an entire library, but only owned two hand-me-down shelves.  Not sure how we've gotten away with that for the past four years. . . hmmm.  Might have something to do with the fact that my poor husband has been double, and triple shelving his books.

Ideally, we'd have our extremely talented carpenter friend come over and do custom floor-to-ceiling built-ins.  It's going to be a while before we can afford that though, so I headed to IKEA for some shelving I thought I'd immediately regret due to their extreme particle-board-ness.  I am, however, highly impressed with the Billy Bookcase system.  They're sturdy, easy to put together, and they look just fine.  I'm a convert.

It's not finished.  I'm getting another tall skinny one for that empty corner you see there, and that odd little shelf under the window will get painted, and. . . so on and so on.

And now, a word from the hobbit himself:
"This office is kind of a dream come true for me.  When I was growing up we didn’t have a lot of money.  My bedrooms were either a narrow porch add on, or a small storage room that had just enough room for a bed, a desk, and a chest of drawers.  I always wanted a room with books on four walls, with enough room to stretch out and write.  A beat up leather chair was necessary, and green walls.  And now I have all these things.  Somewhere inside of me, little Mike is doing a happy dance."

P.S.  The stuffed bull's name is George.  He's old.  And anatomically correct.  Such a strange childhood toy.

No comments:

Post a Comment