Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Dryer

Our dryer broke this week.  I am not a fan of Amana brand appliances.  Bleh.  This dryer was so horrible we actually couldn't run it unless we were going to be in our offices with the doors closed and headphones on.  It was that loud.

I know what you're thinking: why not just run the dryer when you're out of the house?  That would have worked, except that this dryer was so special it couldn't turn off when it was done.

I went straight to Craigslist to see if I could score a white Kenmore or Maytag dryer for a decent price (preferably $75 or less).  Yes, we would some day like to have a matching washer/dryer front-loading eco-friendly uber set.  But right now I'd rather have that money for closet storage systems.

Anyway, within a day I found a lady who lives in our town with a Kenmore dryer.  Turns out she needs family pictures, too.  So I said hey, why don't we do a trade?  And can you deliver?  Yes?  Sweet.  So we now have a QUIET, good quality, white Kenmore dryer for which I will only have to pay with an hour of photography time. 

I even found a guy [also on Craigslist] who picks up scrap metal for free, so he came on the same day and picked up the old broken dryer.

I was all happy and excited.  I went to plug in our new dryer. . . only to realize it was a four-prong cord instead of the 3-prong we needed.  Argh.  But only a temporary argh, because I learned you can buy dryer cords at the hardware store for less than $20, and it's really, really easy to change them out.

So, this is how to change a dryer cord from a 4-prong to a 3-prong.
Here is the previous cord situation. . .
I just used my drill and unscrewed the wires to prepare for the new cord. . .
The cord I got for $14.99 at our local hardware store.  The center wire is neutral, so it goes at the center, with the left and right wires placed accordingly.
I screwed them in nice and tight, bolted the back door back down, and ta-da!  It took about 5 minutes, and it works perfectly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed! Changing a dryer cord looks intimidating, but you explained it really well, and if the need ever arises, I'll just look back here.

    Now can you tell me how to banish a frog that's croaking in one of our house walls???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! A frog IN the walls, eh? Fortunately I don't have any experience with that ;). I DO however, have to scrape a mummified frog corpse off our back door. I'm totally procrastinating.

    ReplyDelete